This recipe is suitable for vegans, zero-wasters, and those with a gluten intolerance!
The pizza crust can also be sliced up and topped with jams, spreads, vegan cheeses or anything your heart desires. It’s simple and delicious! So, let’s dig in!
Crust : Preheat oven to 450
3/4 cup quinoa (found in bulk aisles)
1/2 cup water
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp garlic powder *
2 tsp basil *
1 tsp oregano *
1/2 tsp salt
* omit these herbs if you are using the crust recipe for a regular bread and not pizza
1. Soak your quinoa in a bowl of water for 15 mins. Then strain out the water and add the 1/2 cup water from recipe.
2. Add all other ingredients and blend thoroughly.
3. Pour batter into a glass dish that has been rubbed with oil.
4. Put in oven and bake for roughly 20 minutes or until you can poke a hole in the center with the fork coming out clean.
3/4 cup raw cashews
2 tblsp apple cider vinegar or lemon
1 garlic clove
2 tblsp coconut oil
1 tsp dried thyme (or two fresh sprigs)
1 TBLS white miso paste (possible to omit using 1.5 tspsoy sauce and 1/2 tsp sesame oil as a zero waste substitute. OR equal amounts tahini)
3 TBLSP nutritional yeast (found in bulk aisle)
1. Boil cashews in water for 10 mins on a constant rolling boil OR soak for 2 hours in water.
2. Strain all water from cashews
3. Using a high power blender such as a nutribullet, add all other ingredients and blend until creamy and free of any lumps!
*You can also freeze this mixture into a mold of your choice (use olive oil in it to prevent sticking) for 10 mins and then transfer to the fridge to create a semi-solid spreadable cheese for crackers etc. I roll this solidified chilled cheese into a ball and crust it in herbs and cranberries for guests.
Assembling Your Pizza!
After you take your crust out of the oven, give it a minute or two to cool down, then spread a generous amount of cashew cheese over the surface. Make sure to put the cheese before any sauce is added!
Next, top with your favorite pizza sauce and toppings, pop it back in the oven at 450 for ten more mins and voila! You have a protein packed, guilt free, pizza!
Be generous with your sauce! It will get most of its flavor from the sauce and toppings!